I feel so stressful everyday sitting in front of a computer 7 hours long. I don't carry any box, hold a map, control a machine, and those work load that your body will make you burn energy but still i feel so stressful. I just type, draw, and make model design but still i feel so stress thinking that my work is so easy. Reading and searching for some solution on how to overcome this stressful routine i found several exercises that will help energizing your body. Study shows that sitting in front of a computer will make your body so weak and it will cause some obesity. 8 or even more hours on a desk will drain your body and can cause into some serious illnesses. So this are the exercise that will help gaining some healthy body.
A sore lower back is a very common problem for desk jockeys. It can be difficult to practice good posture for long hours. This leads to some relaxed slouching, which inevitably causes lower back and neck pain. You can do a simple stretch to help alleviate this discomfort. You can do this stretch either sitting in a chair or standing up:
- Place your hands, palms down, on your lower back.
- Point your fingers down and lean back.
- Push your breastbone up towards the sky, keeping your elbows pointing straight back.
- Hold for 15 seconds then relax.
- Repeat the above steps twice.
This stretch will help you relieve the tension that builds up in your lower back. To avoid injury, remember not to bounce or jerk your muscles while exercising or stretching your back.
Calf Stretch and Quadriceps Desk Exercise
This exercise will help relieve the tired and lethargic feeling that invades your leg muscles due to inactivity. It will assist in eliminating leg cramps and muscle spasms. In addition, the quadriceps exercise will actually strengthen the muscle itself through an isolated isometric flex at the top.
Before attempting this exercise, ensure that you have enough space to fully extend your legs. Do the following exercise with your back straight and your feet planted flat on the floor in front of you.
- Place your hands flat on top of your right leg.
- Lift your right leg from your hip flexor and fully extend it straight from the knee.
- With your leg fully extended flex your upper leg muscle and hold for 10 seconds.
- Lower your right leg slowly, once again placing your foot flat on the floor.
- Repeat exercise with the left leg.
- Repeat the above steps twice.
You can also stretch out both legs under the desk for a minute. This exercise will enhance the blood flow to your legs and alleviate muscle cramps. While doing the above exercise you should feel a solid stretch in your calf muscle and a firm tightening of the upper leg quadriceps.
Shoulder Stretch and Desk Exercise
A simple exercise that can be done from behind the desk is the shoulder stretch/roll. This exercise will help you when those cases of copy paper and archived record boxes get a little heavy. It is also good for those with aching shoulders. Remember to sit up straight with your feet firmly planted on the floor when doing the following exercise.
- Stretch your right arm in front of you and across your chest, as if you were grabbing something on your left side.
- Bring your left arm under and in front of your right arm.
- Gently hug your right arm in towards your chest.
- Repeat with the arms reversed.
- Relax your arms, letting them hang down loosely at your side.
- Slowly roll both shoulders backwards ten times.
- Slowly roll both shoulders forward ten times.
These movements will help relax the shoulders and neck, as well as add flexibility and strength. In addition, they both can easily be done as a desk exercise.
Abdominal Crunch Desk Exercise
Even though no one likes to admit it, sitting for long hours at a desk can lead to a bulging waistline. This can be a cause of stress for many. You can combat this enemy with a simple crunch desk exercise done directly from your office chair.
- Sit on the edge of your seat.
- Lean back from the waist, keep your back straight.
- Hold the seat of your chair with both hands.
- Lift both legs up, keeping your knees bent while tightening your abdominal muscles.
- Straighten your legs holding your heels a few inches off of the floor.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 until you have completed 10 repetitions.
For most of us, abdominal exercises are not fun. However, if you can master this one you will be well on your way to developing a stronger and leaner midsection. This exercise will strengthen your core and help promote better posture.
Sit and Stand Up Straight
Many people are surprised when they hear that sitting and standing up straight is an exercise. Good posture itself is probably one of the most effective core strengthening exercises out there. This is due to the amount of muscles required to stabilize the upper body when keeping the back straight and the tummy tight. Here are some tips for better posture.
- Adjust your chair and keyboard to promote a non-slouching sitting position.
- Always sit with both feet firmly flat on the ground in front of you.
- Stand up tall, with your shoulders back and your chin raised.